“Thank you for your absolutely delightful presentation. The turnout was excellent and the interest level in your stories very high. Everyone enjoyed your storytelling and it was especially meaningful to learn about the life of your mother.”
—Frances Mendelsohn, Los Angeles Public Library
Karen Golden performed her one woman show "Love From Jewish Kitchens" at our Jewish Women's Retreat.
Over the years we have had a variety of programs for our Saturday night entertainment but very few received the "rave reviews" that Karen did!
Her storytelling about growing up in a Jewish home, the Jewish food and rituals, the family members, and other Jewish stories, creates a picture that leaves the audience totally engaged and wanting more. The music and the age old cooking utensils bring the audience back to being in their own Grandma's or Mother's kitchen. It is so magical that you can almost smell the food cooking and see the Friday night candles burning.
I highly recommend Love From Jewish Kitchens by Karen Golden. It is not only very entertaining and funny but heartfelt as well.
Full Disclosure Storytelling Event
P E R F O R M A N C E S F O R A D U L T S
• Church groups, business meetings, conferences, conventions, professional organizations, senior groups, university classes (15 to 90 minutes).
• My storytelling programs can be presented as a performance, or as an interactive workshop in which the audience members are encouraged to tell stories as well; creating a heartfelt way of connecting with family and friends.
Possible Storytelling Themes (or call me to discuss a more personal theme):
Creative Story Vacations Without Leaving Your Seat
- Travel Around the World Through World Folktales.
Tales of Women: Witty and Wise
- Perfect for women’s weekends or retreats.
A Harvest of Tales
- Stories of farming, gardening and flower power.
Tales of Volunteerism
- Tales of Thanksgiving.
- Tales To Warm Your Holiday Heart, Chanukah, Christmas, Kwanzaa.
- Valentines Day: Tales From The Heart.
- Jewish Stories From Up Your Street and Around The World.
One Woman Shows
Hot Pot and Other Savory Tales From China, S. Korea and Hong Kong
90 minutes with no intermission
- Join storyteller Karen Golden as she reassembles the incredible sights, smells and tastes surrounding her adventure in China, South Korea and Hong Kong during the month of Oct. 2016.
- Karen toured as a teaching artist and performed stories to thousands of students at international schools throughout Asia. But what happened when she was not performing?
- In this multi-media, musical and storytelling performance, Karen will explore how she made sense of her experiences, challenged with language and cultural differences, and armed with little knowledge of Asian history.
- Karen finds connections with her past and gains an understanding of the universality of the human experience by drawing from “a river of stories.”
- This show is suitable for kids age nine and older.
Love From Jewish Kitchens
75 minutes with no intermission
- A buffet of tales from Karen's rich Jewish family heritage and the Jewish oral tradition, provides a heartwarming, food-centric journey through the Jewish holidays, which will no doubt be very familiar for some, nostalgic for others and completely revealing to those who wonder but know very little about traditional Jewish foods, the significance of certain Jewish holidays and why it's customary to have certain foods. These heartwarming stories of food, love and family remind us of the importance of family traditions and the role food plays in our celebration and our memories of those we love. (A little nosh of Jewish food following this show is welcome).
- True stories and wisdom tales about the little things we all can do to make the world a better place. Based on the inspiration of Dr. Evelyn “Effie” Golden (Karen’s mother), learn about her life and what prompted her to become a medical doctor at the age of 22, the recipient of numerous awards including volunteer of the year award for the State of Michigan (at age 89) and have two buildings named in her honor. (duration one hour. includes a slide show of photographs requiring a computer projector)
An original story for your special occasion. Karen has created original works for cities, museums and about numerous individuals(see resume) including Bar and Bat Mitzvahs, anniversaries, adult birthday and celebrations.